Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Wednesday Update and Responses

HELP!!!!! POLICE SENT TWO RESCUE TEAMS OUT OF THE CITY TODAY TELLING THEM THEY WOULD BE ARRESTED TOMORROW. Call New Orleans Police Department and give them your comments on this one. I do not have a phone number. If you get a good one for the main office and the captain’s name call me with it. 443-421-0000. This is scary. If I don’t get in the dogs I left in houses will starve.

KEEP SENDING VOLUNTEERS TO JANE GARRISON AT Lamar Dixon. SHE PUTS THEM IN THE FIELD FIRST DAY. THEY NEED ALL THE HELP THEY CAN GET.

I’ll let you all decide on Wayne P’s response from HSUS. I might write when I get back.

We do not take in 50-60 dogs a day because we are taking owner call-ins only. We are the only place you can call and get someone to check the house within 24 hours and usually on the same day. These people are desperate! Many thought HSUS had already rescued their animal. No, not the case. Many are dead or gone out of the house but not rescued. SAD! The National Guard left many doors open. Rescuing 7-8 live animals is like scoring 140 in a high school basketball game. When you find a live animal and call the owner it is the most amazing call of your life. But most calls are not like that. We can’t collect 100 dogs. We don’t have anywhere to take them nor a way to transport them. We get 10-15 in plus the ones rescued for owners and then we start pleading for someone like Pasado to take them.

Response to Various Comments:

HSSM – not exactly what we were told. Tara did have people working. What she needed most from us was supplies. I collected the original money of about 4.5k and gave her gift cards to buy supplies. I also sent her computers. Sent dozens wire instructions for donations directly to HSSM. Beyond that not much for us to do. One trip to New Orleans and you could see that you could make a difference from the time you hit the ground. I spoke with Tara and she understood.

Curfew – You have to be here to understand. Whatever you can talk your way into or out of is what goes. Many police and guard see Animal rescuers as part of the team. However in recent days city became unsafe to work after dark. Several teams doing it anyway. Shootings are heard near the YMCA and the Winn Dixie. We even got called to a murder scene to take out a pitbull. Lots of thugs coming home. It is a wild place. Cops don’t care if you are out after dark and the city is packed again. They can’t stop every car. Some streets are down right busy.

Money – this site was meant for family and friends. It clearly states if you are not one of those that I do not want your money. I appreciate the people that sent a few bucks anyway as I am over 15k in the hole and collected about 4-5 k.

Blog – this is my first time at a computer in 3 weeks. I have never read the blog. I call it in when I get a few minutes to my friend and coworker Melanie. Who would have thought thousands of people would turn to it to get the inside scoop on the plight of animals in and around New Orleans.

Going home – I've spent 3 weeks here and that is 2 weeks more than most people do. I am sick about going home. Everyone that goes home is having major emotional problems. This is the most discouraging thing I have ever done. Saving a few thousand out of a hundred thousand animals with many still in need of help. Lexi and Lee went home and came right back. They were going crazy worrying about special little friends they left in specific houses. We all have special ones that we can’t get out of our minds. What is going to happen to mine, a little black lab under a house with his buddy dead in the back yard rotting away. I have tried to get him everyday but he is scared to death…can’t get him more than 5-6 feet away. He scoots over towards me then runs back. Then peeks his head out. How am I going to just forget him like this never happened? It is heartbreaking. Almost impossible to reconcile that I have to go home.

WORK WILL NOT STOP WHEN I LEAVE. By staying lean, all we need is a list of owners who want pets checked on. One person takes the calls and directs a team of 4-8 cars in the field to the locations. Along the way they pick up any really sick animals or ones that look like they are NOT sitting on the porch waiting for owners. I still have 4 solid days here anyway. Just come and you to can make a difference. People knocking me for going home is crazy.

Photos and VIDEO – KEEP CHECKING BACK! After I get home, all will be uploaded for you to see.

Your comments – I look forward to staying up long nights when I get back, answering questions and comments.

Why we abandoned the YMCA – 1) National Guard pulled out of area. Area is totally unsecure. Went back after storm to set up and looters and criminals lurking everywhere. Gunshots fired around corner. Thank god Lacey,the little blond ROTC girl, went and got her hidden .38. It was that scary. We literally backed our way to our cars and headed out of the city. We found the Rite Aid parking lot.

Some girl’s posts -- Not sure what she was expecting? She just came from Lamar Dixon where they spent 10 million to rescue a few thousand animals. Perhaps she wanted us to have stacks and stacks of unneeded supplies (we could as we get offers for a truck load about once an hour)? We don’t need it. She said Rite Aid parking lot was a joke.

The reality is you could do it from any piece of ground you can house a few animals on. We cut out all the unneeded garbage. We take calls and we go to houses and we feed and water a lot of animals on the streets. She somehow got the idea I had asked for money for $100,000 in supplies or something. I never did. Anyone that calls me to donate I say I don’t need it…just get your friends to Lamar Dixon. She called me and said her comments were totally taken and ran with by “internet” mania. I think she really was sincere. Her friend she talks about came in today and was appalled she had written it. She worked all day.

The picture of the dog is a hoax. Folks, call Russ at 678-524-0008. His entire team was with us. He thought I was nuts at first to offer the guys $250 to drive the poor guy home.
But it was worth every penny. I would have paid a thousand. That dog was not staying in the area. This was in the real toxic area—10 ft of water in all houses.

Not here? Don’t even attempt to understand what it is like here. NOBODY HAS EVER BEEN IN A SIMILAR SITUATION. 1) EVACUATION OF AN ENTIRE AMERICAN CITY 2) TOXIC MOLD AND CHEMICALS EVERYWHERE 3) 100,000 ANIMALS IN NEED OF RESCUE. 4) 4-6 DIFFERENT AUTHORITIES NONE KNOWING WHAT TO DO 5) No appropriate safety equipment. You accomplish in this city exactly what you talk your way into or out of. My team and I are good talkers.

Pics and video – tons of amazing stuff when I get back. Lack of internet access makes it impossible to get the stuff out.

32 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was NOT sincere. Ashleigh is still slamming you, Eric. Thank you for all your hard work. You deserve a break from all the chaos.

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Eric. I just want to say THANK YOU. I am grateful for what you are doing. You do deserve a break. Try to rest, and know that you did awesome work.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if any of this gets to Eric, but could he get a vet in the area to give him a tranquilizer and put it in some yummy food for the black lab that won't come to anyone--then go back and pick him up once he's asleep?

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'm at it--did you hear about the dog that Best Friends rescued, with the bottle around its neck and the note and medication inside? What if everyone who left behind a pet, had put making tape around its neck, with contact info written in Sharpie ("call my aunt in New York, phone #", etc.) Is there any way to get out the word in future disasters that when the media is telling people to fill their bathtubs with water, they should also be telling them to label their pets? If this was standard procedure, wouldn't it help? We are going to NO on Sunday--after reading all this, I just hope we don't get shot and manage to rescue something. We are with a church, have a 5013c and a van, and I want to bring back some pets for people here to foster/adopt, but the HSUS just says to show up at their booth (?) there and fill out the paperwork and they'll see if they can approve us. I'm confused--why does the HSUS have the right to determine what happens to all animals in NO? They don't own them any more than I do, do they? P.S. I'm a former dog groomer.

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant masking tape, not "making" tape. Sorry.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, I have always had faith in you and believed in what you were doing.

Thank you SO much for doing all that you did.

Take a much needed break and know that you made the world a better place by taking action.

warmly,

melanie in california

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric - I do not know you, will probably never talk to you much less meet you...but do know this, yes I donated to your account because I believe in what you have done, are doing and will do. My opinion never wavered, nor should anyone else's unless THEY get in the trenches. I observed and read many boards regarding the horrid affairs of what is taking place in LA, MS & Alabama since the beginning. If I could be on the ground believe me I would, but due to other reasons I can't therefore I provide $ and any logistical support I can provide on the ground in MY neck of the woods. Virginia.
As far as individuals demeaning and questioning your opinion of HSUS and the 'organization' of YOUR outfit, just know there are many individuals (myself included) who stopped, years ago, believing in their (HSUS) ability to assist in 'true crisis situations'. Do they have the ability? YES. Do they have the means? YES. Do they have networking capabilities? ABSOLUTELY. Why won't they? I haven't a clue and it is disheartening to witness, especially when there are 1000s upon 1000s of animals EVERYDAY that need 'rescuing'. YOUR OUTFIT is just a group of people who cut out the B.S., and the red tape and DID IT. No one but you will ever know the heartache and the elation on a minute by minute basis that you spent in the God forsaken place. Every donation I make and have made for years goes directly to grassroots organizations and locale humane societies where I feel the $ does the most good. That is the bottom-line, each person makes a personal decision of who to donate $ to...it is just that a decision to BELIEVE in SOMETHING OR SOMEONE. My God if people take that away what do we have?
So, in short just know that a girl from Virginia thinks what you have done is nothing short of amazing, selfless and courageous and the owners and animals appreciate it more than they can or will ever say. Please do not feel you must 'defend' your actions to anyone because in the end, you know what you have accomplished and what you haven't.

My RESPECT and GRATITUDE,
Jen S.
Virginia

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok here is the number for the New Orleans Police Department among some others just in case.

Emergency Listings
Police, Fire & Medical Emergencies

911
Crescent City Connection Police
(504) 364-8180
NOPD Non-Emergency
(504) 821-2222
Louisiana State Police
(504) 471-2775
Office of Homeland Security
(504) 658-6900
Office Of Emergency Preparedness
(504) 658-8700
Poison Control Center
(800) 256-9822
Public Adovacy (504) 658-4015

Eric you and your volunteers are doing a great job. My friend from work is down there right now helping you. I hope you guys don't let the cops get ya down. Those dogs, cats, cows, horses and etc... need an advocate and your it. Good luck and keep up the good work and stay safe.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey suzy !

I think tranquilizing a sick/starving dog might actually end up killing it. Also, He/She might gobble-up the drug then go off somewhere unknown before the effects kicked-in which would most likely further endanger the pooch.You would also have to ensure(somehow) that the RIGHT dog got the drug.
Unfortunately, I don't have a better suggestion, but knock-out drugs are dangerous even to healthy animals/people.

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric got a working number for the police department
504-658-8700
or 504-835-8700
the police at gretna number who gave it to me 504-366-4374
unfortunatley they have not yet assigned a new captain. it takes up to 45 days to do so. I have tried the numbers myself and they work. spoke to michelle last night and gave her:
St. Tammany Parish Humane society
20384 Harrison Ave.
Covington, LA 70433
contact Beth Brewster- shelter director
I am currently sending supplies there and hopefully they can help you in keeping the animals. Bobby from a new leash on life is coming out there today to help rescue some more animals and bring them to cali. I am trying to get a number for him as soon as I know. you'll know. I have also been working with kim from much love who is wonderful at trying to get these animals a second chance and hopefully finding there owners. her email is kim.finger@gmail.com. she might be helpful. keep up the amazing work and will be in contact soon. natalie

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Pete's sake people, Eric was trying to make a difference in this world and should be applauded. One person makes some off-hand comment and the internet-mania takes hole. Unless the person who made the original comment has continued to say things I would say let it die down. The comment was based on that person's expectations of what rescue would entail. Perceptions are often wrong. Furthermore, the rest of us should stay out of it and not fan the flames. People who continue to talk about it are only doing so to create drama and bad feelings which only serves THEIR need for their brand of excitement.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Eric,
About the scared black lab, someone on the NOLA posts gave the suggestion of trying to have a woman do the rescue. Some animals don't react well to certain voices and the puppy might come to a woman. I really hope this works--there have been way too many sad stories!!

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric...
I asked you some questions on a previous post...thanks for the answers...they are quite good enough for me...things get way too crazy here with all the tales.

I'm glad to see, that despite a thorough trashing, intentional or not, you have kept going in the same vein...saying what you need to and putting the same energy into things.

THANKS!!! ANOTHER ONE ON YOUR SIDE.

Basically, it's all pretty much making me sick to my stomach..what's happening to the animals the most, what's happened to smaller rescue groups (more than just you), and the never ending red tape.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the naysayers:
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

For the doubters:

~ Why Rescue? ~
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter… the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness, and betrayal.

And I was angry.

"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"

God was silent for a moment, and then spoke softly, "I have done something," was the reply.

"I created you."

-- Author Unknown

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those who are neither cold nor timid souls; for those who are daring greatly:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who, at worst, knows if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat."
~ Teddy Roosevelt

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spoke with Eric and he rescued that black puppy that he loves. The pupp is doing well and was right next to Eric when I was talking to him. He is amazing.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt in Canada!

Good point. I was assuming that the dog was in a fenced yard. Just figured it was better than nothing.

Lying down on the ground, putting your arms over your head, and making little whining noises is also a way to attract a submissive dog. Something about seeing a person smaller than they are, I guess. Of course, it looks a little odd to any humans in the vicinity.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could not say it any better. "So, in short just know that a girl from Virginia (texas) thinks what you have done is nothing short of amazing, selfless and courageous and the owners and animals appreciate it more than they can or will ever say. Please do not feel you must 'defend' your actions to anyone because in the end, you know what you have accomplished ..."

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric,

You are awesome! thanks for letting all of us know how it really is there. Because of you, I'm coming down tomorrow. Godspeed and Good Dreams!


Julie

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, I have just arrived home from La. and Gulfport. We spoke on the phone a few times while there. I need to talk to you , when you get home and have time.
jocook@direcway.com

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger tara said...

Dear Eric,

I want to help, what can you use down there to help you, i am having a yard sale this weekend to raise money for the ASPCA, but if you guys need help i can sharei it with your organization, is it true that the people that are coming down there to help are being sent away

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first heard of this website and began to read the postings, I honestly thought it was a giant joke. It is absolutely inconceivable that people who truly care about animals would sit around gossiping like junior high school girls and disparaging people (under the protective cloak of anonymity, of course) who have dedicated their lives to animal protection. These “good people” would, instead, spend their time writing letters to their elected officials, both local and federal, requesting legislative changes so that a situation like the one in New Orleans never repeats itself. They would be raising funds and writing op-eds and collecting supplies and helping to reunite people with their lost loved animals.

Now I realize that some of you “Armchair Activists” are for real, and it is absolutely sickening. I would invite each of you who have, behind your computers, so boldly criticized the work of individuals - who have chosen to work full time on behalf of animals they will never meet, be thanked by or profit from - to convey how you have helped in the endeavor to save the animals suffering as a result of a disaster of enormous proportions, for which not even the city, state or federal government was prepared.

I’ve never personally met Mr. Pacelle, but I wonder what his “master, ulterior plan” might be in dedicating his entire adult life to working for the most influential animal welfare organization in the world. “Instead of going to Wall Street or some other corporation, upon graduation from college I’ll take a job where I work 20 hour days and fight huge industrial powers with endless financing to help pass legislation to save millions of animals from suffering. And, as a bonus, I’ll have a bunch people anonymously misquoting me and lying about what I’ve accomplished.”

It doesn’t take Freud to recognize that some of you have indeed met him and have a personal grudge (perhaps a disgruntled former employee or two?) or you’re just craving attention in a time when the attention should be on the animals whom Mr. Pacelle personally went down to help.

I very much look forward to the future “blog” where we can all converse about the unwanted and permanently abandoned animals we’ve PERSONALLY adopted from the shelters of Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, and comparing how we are can care for their special needs. In the meantime, consider what might happen if you chose to quit harming animals by contributing to gossip and dedicating yourselves to tearing good people down.

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, I just got back to nyc from tylertown a few days ago and had also gone into new orleans to help get animals out - you are right, I am still thinking of those I couldn't get out, wondering how they are doing, I want to go back but I don't have the means, I applaud you for all you've done, I KNOW how discouraging it is.

-melody

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what we did at Hattiesburg for tracking animals and it worked well, but took time to make sure it was correct. The base of the tracking was camealeon software, microchips, photos, recording where the animal was picked up and where it ended up. First to Hattiesburg, then as each animal was prepared for transport it was rescanned and the shelter or group that took was entered into the animals was also entered. Like I said it took more time than anyone would have liked to get this done, but that seemed to be the best way for us to make sure the animals could be found by their owners.

I do know that the folks that own Lamar dixon want the animals out of there and have been waging a harrassment campaign to that end. HSUS has moved roughly 200 animals to a prison nearby. Which is working great and the warden is amazing in his vision. I hope everyone finds time later to find out his name and commend him and his trustees for helping. He wants to get on a permanent list for future disasters to help out. It's a win win for everyone and the trustees have a sense of accomoplishment being able to do something to help. I know I will be sending a huge thank you to the warden and also asking the Governer of LA to consider this avenue for the future. There is a vet staff on site and other volunteers helping organize the trustees and of course there have been problems, but overall, it's been wonderful.

I know that the LA officials created most of their own problems and in my opinion were not prepared for this. They had MANY animal rescue groups on the ground and then tried to kick them out, then 48 hours later, changed their minds!! Mississippi may have been chaos in the first few weeks, but we will have to invent a whole new word for the insanity that went on in LA.

I do also know that the HSUS is using the same tracking method for the animals there, but they and all the other groups are very behind because of the shear numbers and all the bickering with the state and between groups there.

In my opinion the reason for some many of the problems in LA are the constant bickering between groups, the officials and the idiots that tried to take over New Orleans with their looting, shooting and otherwise idiotic and criminal behavior. But which came first, the chicken or the egg???

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what we did at Hattiesburg for tracking animals and it worked well, but took time to make sure it was correct. The base of the tracking was camealeon software, microchips, photos, recording where the animal was picked up and where it ended up. First to Hattiesburg, then as each animal was prepared for transport it was rescanned and the shelter or group that took the animal was entered into that animal database. Like I said it took more time than anyone would have liked to get this done, but that seemed to be the best way for us to make sure the animals could be found by their owners.

I do know that the folks that own Lamar dixon want the animals out of there and have been waging a harrassment campaign to that end. HSUS has moved roughly 200 animals to a prison nearby. Which is working great and the warden is amazing in his vision. I hope everyone finds time later to find out his name and commend him and his trustees for helping. He wants to get on a permanent list for future disasters to help out. It's a win win for everyone and the trustees have a sense of accomoplishment being able to do something to help. I know I will be sending a huge thank you to the warden and also asking the Governer of LA to consider this avenue for the future. There is a vet staff on site and other volunteers helping organize the trustees and of course there have been problems, but overall, it's been wonderful.

I beleive that the LA officials created most of their own problems and in my opinion were not prepared for this. They had MANY animal rescue groups on the ground and then tried to kick them out, then 48 hours later, changed their minds!! Mississippi may have been chaos in the first few weeks, but we will have to invent a whole new word for the insanity that went on in LA.

I do also know that the HSUS is using the same tracking method for the animals there, but they and all the other groups are very behind because of the shear numbers and all the bickering with the state and between groups there.

In my opinion the reason for some many of the problems in LA are the constant bickering between groups, the officials and the idiots that tried to take over New Orleans with their looting, shooting and otherwise idiotic and criminal behavior. But which came first, the chicken or the egg??? I don't have that answer........

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the state has much, much, much to blame on itself and is passing the entire blame to others...HSUS may be getting the brunt of the criticism and that may be unfair since it is obvious the state vet, gov and mayor have not a shred of common sense among them.

Yes the landlord was horrible to HSUS about animals.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about discount pet supply. I have a website about discount pet supply which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site. Close to what I was searching for about free black adult movie. keep up the good work and I will return again.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I love all the free online adult movie. I will definately be back again... and again and again.

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Toys information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I love all the free adult movie preview. I will definately be back again... and again and again.

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

free porn video post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home